Sunday, April 8, 2012

Softball games and that awful downtown traffic: Becca's Story



Becca grew up in Dover, N.J., the town where I went to high school. Becca, her mother and sister moved to Dover when Becca was in fourth grade, in a house connected to her grandparent's house. 
We met when we were in elementary school, got close in middle school and became inseparable in high school. We talk (or text) nearly every day: outlets for each other's frustrations, sadness and insecurities. Told over an exchange of emails, text messages and phone calls, this is Becca's story.


Description: I have no idea how to describe Dover so that it sounds good. I know how I would say it but... whatever. Basically, I guess, it's a small town where you can't wait to leave, but it always brings you back. 

Where the best empanadas are made. Where taxi drivers are the worst drivers. You can add in whatever. You know Dover pretty well lol. 


What Dover smells like: Well...there's two different smells. In the winter it smells like a mix of Spanish food and pollution.  In the summertime, it smells like "springtime:" with all the trees and flowers blooming.


Least favorite area of town: Downtown Dover because of all the traffic and pedestrians (Author's note: who like to walk in front of cars when there are green lights and will literally pat your car on the hood when they walk in front of it.)


Favorite part of town: Near home, because it's where I know best.


Thing to change about town: The parking on Blackwell Street because it's all parallel and I suck at it.


Thing to always keep the same: The pride everyone has for Dover. It shows going through school and at the Friday night football games.


Positive: As for a positive memory, I guess it was being able to finally start playing sports, I really don't know. 

Is it sad I barely have any positive memories from Dover at all? 

Since we moved closer to my grandparents, my sister and I could play sports if we wanted to, because my grandparents could take us and pick us up when my mom couldn't. And playing sports like softball really helped me on many levels: like focusing and an outlet for when I was upset or angry. 

My best memories are from softball practices, bus rides, games. There is nothing like that feeling when you hit a ball into the outfield, watch your teams score go up and eventually winning the game. Or sliding into home knowing how close of a call it was. There's something about the way spring smells that always brings me back to those memories. 


Negative: Negative memory? Well, going to North Dover Elementary for my 4th grade year before being able to transfer to Canfield Ave in Mine Hill because I had no friends. And the teachers were not willing to help me when I needed it: basically getting D's and C's on my report card. 


Advice for someone who's moving to town: Don't try driving to the mall in rush hour. It will take you forever!


Bottom line: It's hard moving and transfering schools, leaving all your friends behind and having to make new ones is never an easy task. But if you find something you truly love, like softball for me, it can really help make the transition easier.

4 comments:

  1. Liz,

    I really liked this post. You took a vastly different approach, at least, I think you did, to how you presented this week's. I like how you divided it up into sections, or questions rather with responses/answers. It was just refreshing and different from other things you've done. I would like to see you play around with your style or format a little more in future posts. This caught me of guard, but in a good way. Good job on this one, as with all your other ones.

    Chris Daniels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    I like that, yes this post was about Becca, but it had underlying tones of you in it as well. Like the authors note, which made me laugh. I really like how you set this post up. It was almost like an interview, but at the same time you could see this conversation taking place between you and Becca very casually. I live in a town like this, where you don't want to stay, but can't seem to leave. But I've made the best of it for the last 21 years of my life, lol!

    Great post and I look forward to your next one!

    -Tori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz,

    This was an interesting post. It was approached a bit differently than the other ones and read a little bit more like an interview you would see in a magazine. I liked how you asked some out of the ordinary questions, such as the one about Dover's smell. I also liked how you incorporated yourself into the post a bit as well. Parallel parking is one of my least favorite things about anywhere too. I usually just keep driving until I find a place where I can park easily. Looking forward to learning about a new place next week. Good job Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting post because it told the story of someone who created a bond with their hometown through sports, a common thing people connect their hometowns with. As a result it wasn't as gloomy as some of your earlier work. Good post.

    ReplyDelete